Author Topic: Some good food brands  (Read 100695 times)

Itchmo

• All Your Cats Dogs News Are Belong To Itchmo!
Some good food brands
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:49:01 AM »
We've gotten a lot of questions about "what should we feed our pets?". Tell us what you use and why you are using that method or brand?
Read the latest cat, dog and pet news, pet food recall info, product reviews and more — updated daily at http://www.itchmo.com

Itchmo

Re: Some good food brands
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:17:59 AM »
Here are several brands mentioned by commenters on Itchmo: Orijin, Kumpi, Wysong, AvoDerm, Newman's Own, Blue Buffalo, Canidae, etc...
Read the latest cat, dog and pet news, pet food recall info, product reviews and more — updated daily at http://www.itchmo.com

nofloyd

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »
My vet is still recommending Purina. So I've been buying Fancy Feast, Friskies and ProPlan, but am nervous since I see wheat gluten in the ingredients sometimes.

I've been trying some Blue Buffalo and Wellness, cat does like the taste, not sure if I'll switch all the way.   

Itchmo

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:15:51 AM »
Did you ask your vet about how well they know the other brands? I've met some vets who just don't seem to know anything other than the major companies.

julia

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:24:42 PM »
We've recently switched to Artemis. They don't test on animals, are not affiliated with Menu Foods, contain no wheat, soy or corn, and no by-products. Cat seems to like it so far.

Once in a while also feed her Fromm.

KathyJA

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 01:04:43 PM »
We switched a little over a week ago from Nutro Natural Choice to Canidae Platinum.  We have 3 dogs & they all seem to love it so far.  A Vet friend also recommends Solid Gold, Innova & Wellness.

Kaylas_Mom

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 01:33:22 PM »
Hi ..Thank you itchmo for a great board...I feed Innova and my lot they do great on it...there coats are so soft and shiny...I also like California natural ..Canidae is also a good food

molly

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 10:32:46 PM »
for my dogs, I bought Bil Jac, I have bought it in the past and they like it.  (dry food) please check the website, do a search for bil jac to find it, I believe there is no wheat gluten and all ingredents come from America (and are processed here), you can get it at Petsmart, it's about $35.00 for the largest bag.

alek0

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 02:45:54 AM »
Anyone has experience with Timberwolf Serengeti dry cat food and Nature's variety freeze dried cat&dog food?

I used to feed Solid Gold and natural balance Venison&peas before, but since they are made by Diamond I have some reservations (Diamond had a big recall in 2005).

Wet food I switched to Aixia (japanese) and Solid Gold canned, all gluten free. Thinking about adding Almo Nature canned, ingredients look good, anyone has experience with it.

dulcinea47

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:30:10 AM »
I've stuck with Merrick's (wet cat food)- they have their own plant, and don't use wheat gluten in any of their products.  I also feed my cats some Friskies canned, the flavors without wheat gluten.  I'm a bit iffy about the Friskies as I don't really trust *any* of the big name pet food makers at this point, but it can get overly expensive to feed only super-premium brands.

Susanunpc

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 01:29:07 PM »
My daughter swears by Serengeti for her cats.  They make Timber Wolf for dogs, which I hear the dogs love.

My local pet food store -- Best Friends Nutrition in Sequim (near the old Costco building) -- does the neatest thing. They put stickers by each cat wet food that has no grains. That way, I don't have to read each label! So, today, I got a wide variety without any grains to try with my kids ... AvoDerm, Merrick, Prairie, Wellness, etc.  I opened the AvoDerm first, and it's all gone. 

Since we're transitioning from dry food to wet food, I also bought Orijen dry, which is 75% meat and 25% vegetable, with no grains.

Today, I wrote a diary at Daily Kos about, among many things, the importance of no grains for cats, quoting from Dr. Hodgkins who will be a witness at Dick Durbin's Senate hearing on Thursday:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/4/10/114542/659
-- it's great to read through the comments and see how many people with cats are making the big switch from foods with grain to no-grain

Endaar

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 03:55:17 PM »
I was feeding my cat Purina Cat Chow and a varitey of Friskies canned food, also made by Purina, so my initial response was not to worry about changing foods. But as more and more info has come out, I decided I did not want to take a chance on anything with Wheat Gluten and also wanted to feed a better quality food. After ruling out anything made by Menu - which eliminates a frighteningly large number of specialty manufacturers - I ended up settling for now on Felidae dry and wet. The dry food is made in-house and the wet is made by a privately held company in Illinois. They wouldn't provide the name but it's not Menu.

My kitty hasn't exactly taken to the new wet food, but she's always preferred dry anyway. I have the Felidae dry mixed 50/50 with the Cat Chow and she seems fine with that; I don't think switching her over to the Felidae dry will be a problem at all.

Endaar

RobinT

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 03:59:51 PM »
Has anyone seen the website for Eagle Pack Premium Pet Foods? I want to change my cats and dogs food to something I can be sure is safe for them without costing way too much. I haven't heard of any of the brands on their site other than Dads. My cats are currently eating 9 lives dry and wet food,but since Del Monte manufactures that food(even though 9 lives hasn't been recalled yet) I want to steer clear of ANY of these companies that had any recalls whatsoever. My dogs were eating Ol Roy wet and dry foods,but I changed their wet food to Skippy(which is also Del Monte) 3 weeks ago. As of now,they are not sick,but I want to get them off the Ol Roy dry food too. Next to my son,my dogs are my life and I just want something to feed them that I know wont kill them. If anyone checks out the Eagle Pack website,can you let me know if you have heard anything of their pet foods?
Thanks so much!!

julia

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 04:16:36 PM »
After ruling out anything made by Menu - which eliminates a frighteningly large number of specialty manufacturers - I ended up settling for now on Felidae dry and wet. The dry food is made in-house and the wet is made by a privately held company in Illinois. They wouldn't provide the name but it's not Menu.

Endaar

Hi Endaar,

We buy Artemis. They also wouldn't disclose the name of the manufacturer (they say it's not Menu) but they did mention it was in Illinois (and North California). I wonder if the same entity makes both Felidae and Artemis..

J

hobo

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 04:52:30 PM »
Since this recall started, I've been using Pet Promise. Does anyone have input on this brand? I hear some of it is made by Purina.