Itchmo Forums for Cats & Dogs Brought to you by Itchmo: Essential news, humor and info for cats, dogs and pet owners.
December 11, 2019, 05:59:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register  

Go To Itchmo.com: Read the latest cat, dog and pet news, pet food recall info, product reviews and more — updated daily.


Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 95
  Print  
Author Topic: My cat has a brain tumor  (Read 330574 times)
0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
ranger
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 1598



« on: August 17, 2007, 10:44:14 AM »

Has anyone here had any experience with this?  She had a CT scan and going to have surgery (she had a lump in her mouth that is connected to her ear) but all they did was remove more of the lump because they found the brain tumor.

She is a very small cat but the neuro said it was the size of a golf ball.  I saw the films and it has taken over 1/4 - 1/3 of her brain.  According to the neurologist this is not unusual and that unless the cat has a seizure brain tumors are almost never found until they are very big.  He also said older cats (Socks is almost 15) do better with these surgeries than younger ones.

He has actually done this surgery on a 24 year old cat and she survived.  He told me she had an 80% chance or recovering immediately and going home the next day, 15% of having a long recovery (weeks to months) learning to walk again etc, and a 5% chance of not making it thru the surgery or being so bad she would have to be put to sleep.

If anyone has knowlege, please respond.  I lost my other two kids in February and March and I am devistated by this news.
Logged
MrsP
Guest
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »

I am responding without much knowledge of brain tumors, but I just want you to know I am thinking of you.  Many of us have dealt with animals with tumors, and I am sure someone here will have something to share with you.  At least the 80% chance of success is hopeful. 
Best to you and your cat,
Mrs. P
Logged
shibadiva
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 1412


WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 11:51:30 AM »

ranger I can imagine that you feel shocked and overwhelmed by the news.

The neurologist's estimate of 80% quick recovery is very encouraging, and especially the news that older cats do better with treatment. Have you talked to the doctor about alternatives such as medication or radiation (I assume he is considering surgery), and the relative prognoses?

It will depend on the individual case and the CT results, but there should be some studies on the web that you can consult for comparison with what the neurologist said.

My 11-year-old cat was operated on this week for an adenocarcinoma in her ear which, fortunately, had not spread beyond the canal. But I can tell you that I was initially overwhelmed by the consultation with the oncologist, and it was only after a few days of searching the internet and talking to people here, that everything began to fit together. We did a complete workup to ensure no metastasis then proceeded with surgery, which went very smoothly. Now I am anticipating that her quality of life will be so much better without those earaches.
Logged

A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
~~ Gandhi
lesliek
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 11119


Trooper,Remy & Fragile


« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 12:25:24 PM »

Ranger-Did the vet give you any idea of time or quality of life without the surgery ?I also don't have experience with this,but 80% sounds pretty good for a tumor. Hopefully someone here has had some experience. If not maybe try the other pet blogs. I would definitly do a search for results also before deciding. You don't want to make things worse. Will be thinking of you both & hoping for good results for you.
Logged

"the world's most inept extortionist"
moonbeam
Full Member
***
Posts: 85


« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 12:55:39 PM »

I'm sorry for your cat and the brain tumor. This is a very sad time. Try to be strong.
Logged
ranger
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 1598



« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 01:01:50 PM »

Yeah I should have mentioned that he said because she is on steroids already she might have 6 months to 1 year just staying on that, but after talking to him I believe she is already showing sx like the pacing and not eating.  Also he said she is blind in her right eye and I am sure deaf in that ear.

I have been told this neuro is one of the best brain surgeons in the country does anyone here know how to find that out?  I know I can check with the licensing board but that only says the vet has a license and if they have had any problems not much information.

My girl is almost 15.

Thanks for your thoughts yes I am overwhelmed, this has been the worst year of my life.  Losing my other kids was awful and then all the stuff Socks has gone thru even my vet was stunned to hear this.
Logged
KatieKat
Jr. Member
**
Posts: 26


« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 01:09:04 PM »

I have no experience with this, but I wanted to send prayers your way Smiley
Logged
shibadiva
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 1412


WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 04:45:10 PM »

ranger That is a compliment to the neurosurgeon that someone considered him one of the best. The specialists at the big clinic here have a good reputation, based on what the local vets say. I must say I wasn't sure at the very beginning, but having been through the exams and surgery with them, they were very professional and thorough.
Logged

A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
~~ Gandhi
catmom5
Guest
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 04:57:22 PM »

I'm so sorry that you and Socks are having to deal with this.  I cannot imagine how hard it must be after losing others and then a brain tumor.  We've been spending a lot of time at the MSU vet teaching hospital and the internal medicine docs are in the new oncology unit.  They seem to be able to do wonderful things for lots of animals with tumors, etc.  Hopefully the surgery will be successful and you'll have lots more time with her.  80% sounds positive to me.  Keep us posted as you are able.
Logged
Orange Fuzzball
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 1022

We miss you KD


« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »

So sorry to hear of Socks' diagnosis. I don't have any experience with this, but it sounds like she has some pretty good odds and that she's getting the best of care. Good thoughts to you both.
Logged
ranger
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 1598



« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 04:20:06 AM »

The doctor I saw is at Angell Memorial in Boston, this is a large teaching facility run by the MSPCA.  Really my only other option would be Tufts University and I just don't feel like I have the time to doctor shop with this.

I was hoping to find someone who had actually gone thru this, but I certainly appreciate the thoughts and good wishes from anyone else.  I can use all the good wishes I can get.

Thank you to anyone who answered.
Logged
JustMe
Administrator
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 10517


My RB Angels Elvis, 1991-2010, and Twit, 2001-2010


« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 06:24:53 AM »

Ranger,

I will be keeping you and Socks in my thoughts and prayers. 

I am so sorry for the loss of your 2 kitties. 

As others have said, 80% sounds very reassuring.  I would ask if the surgeon is board-certified.  I imagine he would be as he has done this operation before.  I just looked at the Angell website.

Ask a lot of questions.

I have 1 cat who had an ear tumor removed.  It was benign, but vet said it could spread to the brain if not removed.  That was 3 or 4 years ago.  He is fine, 14 now.  Not all tumors are cancerous.

Please keep coming back and update us.  {{HUGS}}

P.S.  Maybe you could ask the surgeon if he could refer you to some other pet parents who have gone through this and would be willing to talk to you. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:32:18 AM by JustMe » Logged

Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever.
Poem for Cats, author unknown

"A kitten in the animal kingdom is like a rosebud in a garden", author unknown
moonbeams
Guest
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 09:24:13 AM »

I'm so sorry for Socks. My friend's cat had a brain tumor and they do get confused and almost lost outside. Her cat loved to be outside. Please keep us posted. You are in my prayers.
Logged
ranger
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 1598



« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 05:16:46 AM »

The neuro called last night and the mouth mass was still just infection so I have to keep her on the antibiotic.  He said he does surgery on Mondays and Wednesday so if I decide to go ahead he could put her on the schedule within a week.  I asked about radiation and he said the tumor was too big for it to do any good and radiation would require sedation every day so I would not even consider that.

Socks is a former feral cat and she never goes outside except in her carrier of course. 

He went over the 80% chance of recovering like she is now, 5% of not making it thru the surgery and 15% (this is the most scarey one for me) of not being able to walk, eat or drink on her own for weeks to months.  I live alone and don't have anyone to help me so that would kill me and I only have a few days vacation left. 

I love this girl and I am pretty sure I am going to do the surgery it really is her only chance.  If I do nothing she will get worse and since she is already showing signs I am not optimistic that she would have long.

Thanks again for the good thoughts and if anyone has any more comments I would love to hear them.
Logged
Nabiya
Guest
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 08:08:56 AM »

The neuro called last night and the mouth mass was still just infection so I have to keep her on the antibiotic.  He said he does surgery on Mondays and Wednesday so if I decide to go ahead he could put her on the schedule within a week.  I asked about radiation and he said the tumor was too big for it to do any good and radiation would require sedation every day so I would not even consider that.

Socks is a former feral cat and she never goes outside except in her carrier of course. 

He went over the 80% chance of recovering like she is now, 5% of not making it thru the surgery and 15% (this is the most scarey one for me) of not being able to walk, eat or drink on her own for weeks to months.  I live alone and don't have anyone to help me so that would kill me and I only have a few days vacation left. 

I love this girl and I am pretty sure I am going to do the surgery it really is her only chance.  If I do nothing she will get worse and since she is already showing signs I am not optimistic that she would have long.

Thanks again for the good thoughts and if anyone has any more comments I would love to hear them.
hi ranger, those are still very good odds for a complete recovery and I would definitely go with the vet's recommendation to do it if you can.  The alternative isn't very good.  If you have confidence in the vet I would place my trust in him then.  We are here to support you and send our prayers to you and Socks.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 95
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Copyright 2007 Itchmo.com: Read the latest cat, dog and pet news, pet food recall info, product reviews and more — updated daily.
Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines | Sitemap